Mon, Nov 20th - 9:55AM
How to avoid buying a Flooded Car in Baltimore?
Baltimore faced unseasonal storm and several flooding conditions a couple of months ago. You may think that you have dealt with all the problems associated with flooding and heavy rains. But, there is one aspect of floods that you should not ignore, especially when you are looking to buy a used car in the Charm City.
Rains caused severe flooding in Central parts of Maryland. And, several cars were inundated during the catastrophic act. These cars are now making their way to the used car market.
Is it okay to buy a Flooded Car?
Anyone will tell you to avoid buying a car that was caught in the middle of a flood. Even if the car is completely dry, there must be traces of dirt and debris in the carís engine. Also, water may have affected the electrical components of the car. It can be dangerous to drive such an unreliable car.
It is only okay to buy a car if it has suffered minimal flood damage during the recent rains in Baltimore. But, if the insurance company has declared it as a total loss or it has a salvaged title, it is best to avoid the purchase. You may argue that repairs are an option. But, if there is an issue of salt-water flooding, it will be difficult to fix the car. Unless you are okay with rebuilding a flooded car from scratch, avoid it.
Tips for Avoiding a Flooded Car in Baltimore
Now, if the car is damaged due to floods, you may avoid buying it. But, what if a dealer or a private seller is not upfront about the carís history? How to ascertain whether a car is flood-damaged?
1. Flood-damaged cars have a musty smell to them. If you feel that the smell is not obvious, close the doors and windows of the car and check for nasty odors.
2. Are there any water stains on the seat covers? Do the covers seem new in comparison to the car? It is often a tell-tale sign that the dealer is trying to hide something.
3. Also, inspect the undercarriage and the engine compartment for rust.
4. If the engine oil appears muddy, it is a sign that the quality of the car was compromised during rains.
5. Take the car for test-drive to ascertain any type of water damage. Are there any unpleasant odors, unpredicted sounds, or unexpected smoke?
6. Even if you find no problem after thorough inspection, it is wise to seek help from an expert. Hiring a mechanic may seem unnecessary and expensive. But, it is better to pay for inspection than end up with a lemon.
7. Learn the carís history with the help of VIN or Vehicle Identification Number. Obtain free vehicle history report by submitting the VIN on the National Insurance Crime Bureauís website.
Better be Safe than Sorry!
It is true that a car is necessity for most individuals living in Baltimore. It is a way of living. And, so you must pay extra attention to the car you choose. Check signs for flood damage, obtain the vehicle history report and find a trusted mechanic to understand the real deal.
Remember a successful purchase is always a cautious and well-thought one!
Have you found your perfect car after thorough research? If you want to seal the deal, work with a reputed lender. Trust a bad credit Maryland auto loan expert to solve your credit issues. Once you are sure of your financing partner, nothing will stop you from getting guaranteed auto loan in Baltimore.