Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
Reduce Child Support - RSS feed - Add to Google

Fri, Jul 24th - 6:52AM

Keys To Successfully Reduce Child Support Payments

There are specific determining factors that must be considered if you want to modify child support.  During the divorce process financial details must be provided to the court which allows the court to determine the amount of child support that will need to be paid by the non-custodial parent.  Typically, the income of both parents and their respective assets/liabilities are taken into consideration by the court when calculating the amount of child support to be ordered.

In a case where the non-custodial parent has limited income or many liabilities the court may order lower amount of child support.  This is especially true in Situations where the custodial parent has sufficient income and limited liabilities.  The court will also take into consideration any child support payments owed to children from a earlier marriage.

It is key for non-custodial parents to understand that the amount of child support ordered in the original decree is not a permanent figure.  If the financial situation of either parent changes, the court can be approached to modify child support payments.

For instance, the non-custodial parent has his hours at work cut down or maybe even becomes unemployed.  This may be reason for a reduction in child support.  One critical issue that the non-custodial parent needs to understand is the child support ordered is in force until it is legally altered.  The parent cannot stop paying the full amount just because of lowered income.  They must either petition the court or child support enforcement to reduce the court ordered amount.

It is best to petition for reduction of support before the payments are in arrears.  The courts are not happy when their order for support payments has been unobserved.  The non-custodial parent my find themselves in contempt of court which can mean fines and or jail time.  So, for the best chance at successfully reducing child support, petition the court while payments are not delinquent.
Comment (10)

July 2009
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
prev next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9271

    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 5

  • What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy