Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Anglican Churches in Ontario - RSS feed - Add to Google

Tue, Oct 28th - 3:24PM





Archdeaconry of Essex
St Michael, Windsor, Ontario
The Archdeaconery of Essex is in southwestern Ontario It contains 27 Anglican Churches in 20 parishes in Windsor (metro. pop. 323,342) and Essex county which includes Amherstburg and Leamington. Since January 2008, the Archdeacon has been the Rev. Canon Jane Humphreys, Rector of St. Mary's, Walkerville, Windsor. Dean of Essex is Rev. Sue Paulton of St David's Church and St Mark's Church, Windsor. Colchester and Oldcastle's Anglican Churches On the outskirts of Windsor is St. Stephen's Anglican Church, Oldcastle, Ontario

Comment (0)


Tue, Oct 21st - 4:56PM

Christ Church, Amherstburg, Ontario
Christ Church, Amherstburg, Ontario
Amherstburg, Ontario is located on the Detroit River near Lake Erie. It became the new base for the British after they evacuated Detroit in 1796.

In 1819, Christ Church was built by army engineers as the garrison church of Fort Malden under the direction of Rev. Richard Pollard. It is the oldest church in continuous use in Ontario. The porch was added in 1853 and chancel extended in 1873 and 1953. The north part of the church yard was the original Public Burying Ground in 1798. The oldest tombstone is dated 1809.

Rev. Pollard received a grant from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel then raised additional funds to build 4 churches. The first was Amherstburg, followed by St John's, Sandwich opened in June 1820, St Paul's, Chatham opened in October 1920 and Christ Church, Colchester opened in January 1821.

Comment (0)


Tue, Oct 14th - 11:16AM

St John Anglican Church, Leamington, Ontario

St John Anglican, Leamington, OntarioAnglican Church, Leamington, Ontario
Leamington, Ontario (2006 pop. 28,833) is on the north shore of Lake Erie, 54 km southeast of Windsor. It is the southernmost community in Canada on the 42nd Parallel, the same latitude as Rome, Italy. It has a large H.J. Heinz food-processing plant and is known as the "Tomato Capital of Canada".

St John Anglican Church, Leamington, Ontario has 2 Sunday services. The 8:30 Holy Eucharist uses the Book of Common Prayer while the 10:30 Holy Eucharist uses the Book of Alternative Services.

Rev. Robert Lemon became rector last month. The previous rector, Rev. Canon Steven Haig, who had been at St John's for more than 10 years, left at the beginning of the year to become rector of St George's, Blue Mountain.

Comment (0)


Tue, Oct 7th - 12:20PM

Diocese of Algoma
St. Luke's Cathedral, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Diocese of Algoma logoSt Luke's, Sault Ste Marie
The Diocese of Algoma was formed when the Diocese of Toronto was sub-divided in 1872. It covers an area of 113,000 sq. km. north of Lake Superior, Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

St. Luke's, consecrated in 1870, became the Pro-Cathedral when the diocese was established. In 1892, St Luke's was enlarged with north and south transepts, a chancel at the eastern end and a belfry at the western. In 1952, St. Luke's was severely damaged by fire. In rebuilding St Luke's, the south transept, the bell tower and the intervening south wall were retained but the chancel-sanctuary of 1896 was demolished.

October 2, 2008, Rev. Dr. Stephen Andrews was elected the 10th Bishop of Algoma. Andrews, president and vice-chancellor of Laurentian University's Anglican federated Thornloe College, was elected on the ninth ballot. He replaces the Rt Rev. Ronald Ferris, bishop since 1995.

Bishop-elect Andrews, who is 52, holds a doctorate in Biblical studies from the University of Cambridge, England. He earned his master of divinity degree from Wycliffe College, Toronto, his diploma in Christian studies from Regent College, Vancouver, and his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Colorado. Ordained a priest in 1987, he first served as assistant curate at St. Paul’s Anglican Church in Halifax. A was rector of St. Alban’s Cathedral in Prince Albert, Sask., and dean of the diocese of Saskatchewan before joining Thorneloe in 2001.

Previous posts: National Historic Sites of Canada

Comment (0)


October 2008
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9271

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 2


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Nov 2009
    Sep 2009
    Jul 2009
    May 2009
    Mar 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy