Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Anglican Churches in Ontario - RSS feed - Add to Google

Tue, Nov 25th - 4:36PM




Trent-Durham Episcopal Area
St John's Church, Whitby, OntarioTrent-Durham is one of four Episcopal areas in the Diocese of Toronto, each of which is headed by a bishop.   Bishop Linda Nicholls was consecrated area bishop February 2nd, 2008 at St. James Cathedral, Toronto.

Trent-Durham is in the eastern part of the diocese and has 4 deaneries.   The Durham Northumberland deanery has 13 churches in smaller communities including Bowmanville, Cobourg and Port Hope.   The Oshawa deanery has 14 churches around Oshawa (2006 pop. 141,590).   The Peterborough Deanery has 28 congregations including 6 churches in Peterborough (2006 pop. 74,898).   The Victoria Haliburton deanery is 15 congregations in the northern part of the Episcopal area and is mostly rural.

Shown is a stained glass window at
St John's Church, Whitby, Ontario.
Comment (0)


Tue, Nov 11th - 4:15PM

St George's Memorial Church, Oshawa

St George's Memorial Church, Oshawa, OntarioSt George's has been an independent parish since 1873. The congregation was formed in 1843 worshipping in the old Court House with an incumbant who was also responsible for St. Paul's, Columbus and St. John's Port Whitby.

The first church building was a simple wood structure erected about 1848 which served the congregation until 1858. It was replaced by a more elaborate frame building with a tower and spire. That building was enlarged in 1880 when a Parish Hall was also built.

The present St George's, built of Credit Valley whitestone, was opened in May 1924. The tower and carillon were given by Thomas Houston of Cincinnati, Ohio in memory of Mrs. Houston's father, Edward Carswell. The 15 bells installed in the Memorial Tower were made by the Whitechapel Bell foundry in London England. The largest bell weighs 52 hundredweight (about 2600 kg).

Comment (0)


Sat, Nov 1st - 7:08AM

St Luke's Church, Burnt River, Ontario

Burnt River Anglican Church SignBurnt River, Ontario is a community of 250 in the City of Kawartha Lakes. The community was established in the 1830s but regular Church of England services did not begin until 1896 when they were held in the Orange Hall conducted by a Lay Reader.

Construction of the limestone church begun in 1903 and it opened for services in May 1904.

St Luke's Anglican, Burnt River, OntarioIn 1906, St. Luke's officially became part of the Parish of Kinmount, Burnt River and Irondale. From 1941-1946, when there was no priest in Kinmount, St. Luke's was attached to the Parish of Fenelon Falls. It again rejoined the parish of Kinmount in 1946. Since 1992, St. Luke's has been a part of the Parish of Bobcaygeon and Dunsford.

St Luke's Anglican Church, Burnt River is in the Victoria Haliburton Deanery of the Trent-Durham Episcopal Area of the Diocese of Toronto.

Previous post: Archdeaconry of Essex

Comment (0)


November 2008
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30            
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9270

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 3


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Nov 2009
    Sep 2009
    Jul 2009
    May 2009
    Mar 2009
    Dec 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy