Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Canadian Anglican - RSS feed - Add to Google

Tue, Mar 24th - 4:12PM

St Stephen's Anglican, London, Ontario
St Stephen's Church, London, OntarioSt Stephen's Memorial Anglican Church in London, Ontario was begun by returning Veterans of the Second World War and their families 60 years ago. Today, the members of the Parish reflect a wide range of ages, as well as, differing social, cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds.

On Sundays, the 8:30 am service is a quieter service, while the 10:30 am service features a choir and church school for children aged 3 to 12. On Wednesdays at 6:30 pm, there is a 30-minute quiet service of Holy Eucharist.

The rector is the Rev. Keith Nethery who is also the Diocese of Huron's Communications Officer. Every two weeks he presents a new Anglican segment of a multifaith television program that airs throughout Southwestern Ontario. The program can be seen online at Life and Faith.

Comment (0)


Thu, Mar 12th - 5:09AM

First Mohawk Translation

Chapel of the MohawksJust over 200 years ago, the gospel according to Saint John was translated into the Mohawk language. The translator was John Norton, of Cherokee and Scottish parents, whose Indian name was Teyonin-hakarawon. Norton got up every morning before sunrise and worked tirelessly until midnight, completing the translation of The Gospel of John in just two months. 2,000 copies were printed.

The work was the first foreign language publication of the British and Foreign Bible Society which had been founded in 1804 by the Clapham Sect. The Clapham Sect was an evangelical movement of parliamentarians, of which William Wilberforce was the most famous. Wilberforce, among other things, was the driving force in abolishing the slave trade.

Norton received the commission after being in England on behalf of his adoptive father, Indian chief Colonel Joseph Brant, where he unsuccessfully argued the Grand River land river land claim before the Privy Council.

Shown is H. M. Chapel of the Mohawks, Brantford, the first Protestant church in Ontario. It was built for the Mohawks of the Six Nations Iroquois to replace the Queen Ann Chapel (1712) at Fort Hunter, New York. The Mohawks settled here in 1784 after losing their lands during the American War of Independence.

The church was dedicated to St Paul in 1788 by Rev John Stuart (1736-1812). It is the only Royal Chapel in North America, given the designation in 1904 by Edward VII.

  Previous month:   St Andrew's Anglican Church, Sidney, B.C.Canadian Anglican WebRing Blog

Comment (0)


March 2009
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9196

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 1

    Today: 7


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Jan 2012
    Aug 2011
    Apr 2011
    Oct 2010
    Apr 2010
    Mar 2010
    Feb 2010
    Jan 2010
    Dec 2009
    Nov 2009
    Oct 2009
    Sep 2009
    Aug 2009
    Jul 2009
    Jun 2009
    May 2009
    Apr 2009
    Feb 2009
    Jan 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007
    Oct 2007
    Sep 2007
    Aug 2007
    Jul 2007
    Jun 2007

     
     
    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy