Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Canadian Anglican - RSS feed - Add to Google

Tue, Jan 27th - 11:21AM

St. George's of Forest Hill, Kitchener, Ontario
St. George's Anglican, Kitchener, OntarioThe Parish of St. George's of Forest Hill was founded in 1957 on the edge of Kitchener, Ontario with 42 families. It began in a house converted for use as a church. In 1962 a building was purchased from a Lutheran congregation and transported to the present site, which was then just a mud lane. The present building was completed and dedicated in 1983. The Bishop of Huron consecrated the building on 19 October 1997, after the mortgage was cleared.

St. George's, Kitchener SanctuarySt. George's is a vital, engaged congregation. It supports Habitat for Humanity; St. John's Soup Kitchen; holds Waterloo Region's only annual AIDS Requiem; supports ROOF (Reaching Our Outdoor Friends), an organization that helps street kids; Anselma House (a shelter for women escaping abusive relationships); and St. Monica House (unwed mothers). Two children are sponsored - one in Africa and one in Eastern Europe. December sees the Angel Tree providing gifts of toys, clothing and food to needy families in the St. George's community. The people of St. George's of Forest Hill also continue to contribute to the PWRDF/Huron Hunger Fund. And finally, a very successful day camp - Little Dragon - is run for the months of July and August, and the congregation provides numerous bursaries so that those who cannot afford the weekly cost will not be deprived of the opportunities the camp provides.

Comment (0)


Tue, Jan 13th - 4:16PM

Anglican Churches of Ontario

In 2001, the last census that counted religious denominations, 985,110 or 8.6% of Ontarians identified themselves as Anglican. 48% of Canada's Anglicans live in Ontario.

The ecclesiastical Province of Ontario, which roughly covers the civil province, has 7 dioceses: Algoma, Huron, Moosonee, Niagara, Ontario, Ottawa and Toronto.

The first resident Anglican clergyman in what is now Ontario was Rev. John Stuart who settled in Cataraqui (Kingston) in 1785. There were 46 parishes when the Diocese of Toronto, covering all of Upper Canada (Ontario), was established in 1839. The diocese has became smaller as the other dioceses were set up but remains the most populous of the dioceses in the Anglican Church of Canada and has some 270 churches.

More on Ontario Churches is at the Anglican Churches of Ontario Webring Blog.


Previous month: Talbot Settlement Churches Canadian Anglican WebRing Blog


Comment (0)


January 2009
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9241

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 0


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Jan 2012
    Aug 2011
    Apr 2011
    Oct 2010
    Apr 2010
    Mar 2010
    Feb 2010
    Jan 2010
    Dec 2009
    Nov 2009
    Oct 2009
    Sep 2009
    Aug 2009
    Jul 2009
    Jun 2009
    May 2009
    Apr 2009
    Mar 2009
    Feb 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007
    Oct 2007
    Sep 2007
    Aug 2007
    Jul 2007
    Jun 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy