Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Canadian Anglican - RSS feed - Add to Google

Thu, Jan 31st - 7:17AM

Founding of the University of Toronto

The University of Toronto, Canada's largest university, was founded as King's College in 1827. The previous year, John Strachan was sent as a special envoy to England to urge the immediate establishment of a university. He came back with a royal charter and certain grants in money. Unlike other charters, no religious tests were required for matriculation or graduation except in divinity. However, a religious basis of education was retained, with the control of the institution entrusted to the Church of England. The seven Professors were Anglican and Dr. Strachan, who had in the meantime been made Archdeacon of York, was made permanent President of the projected College. Archdeacon Strachan 12 years later in 1839 was appointed the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto.

University College
The University's church affiliation made it unpopular, and on 1 January 1850 the institution was secularized becoming the nondenominational University of Toronto.

Bishop Strachan started an endowment for a new Anglican college and in 1852 after obtaining a royal charter Trinity College was opened. Trinity College became affiliated with U of T in 1904 retaining its university status in order to continue granting degrees in theology
Comment (0)


Thu, Jan 24th - 11:38AM

George Hills, First Bishop of Columbia

George Hills became British Columbia's first bishop in 1859 at age 42. He was born in Kent, England and was Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral when he was appointed bishop.
George Hills
In 1859, there were 3 missionaries in 2 colonies on Vancouver Island and the mainland. When Bishop Hills arrived in 1860 he was based in Victoria. In 1867, the 2 colonies united to become British Columbia and in 1871 B.C. joined the Dominion of Canada.

After 20 years the Diocese of Columbia was divided into 3 dioceses. In 1879, the Diocese of Caledonia was created in the north and the following year the Diocese of New Westminster was created in the south leaving Bishop Hills territory confined to Vancouver Island.

He continued as bishop until 1892 when he resigned and returned to England, dying 3 years later at the age of 79.

Comment (0)


Thu, Jan 10th - 7:59AM

Anglican Network in Canada

 
 In June of 2005, the Anglican Network in Canada was launched. In November 2007, the Anglican Network in Canada began offering Adequate Episcopal Oversight under Bishop Donald Harvey, bishop within the Province of the Southern Cone under Archbishop Gregory Venables, to biblically-faithful Canadian Anglicans who are in "serious theological dispute" with their bishop, diocese or the Anglican Church of Canada and who wish to remain "in full communion with the Church of England throughout the world".

The main reason the organization was formed was that the Anglican Church of Canada continued to ignore the 1998 Primates Lambeth Resolution 1.10 that states the Anglican Communion position, that homosexual practice is incompatible with scripture and that they "…could not advise the legitimising or blessing of same sex unions nor ordaining those involved in same gender unions."

The Anglican Network in Canada now has 17 member parishes.

Comment (0)


Thu, Jan 3rd - 11:37AM

St Mark's Anglican Church, Barriefield, Ontario

St Mark's Anglican, BarriefieldBarriefield, Ontario is just east of downtown Kingston along Highway 2. St Mark's Anglican, Barriefield is situated on a high point of land making the limestone church with its 55-foot square tower a distinctive landmark, clearly visible at a distance from water and land.

St Mark's is an example of the early style of Gothic Revival architecture that used hammer beam roof trusses requiring no supporting columns. Royal Military College It was built with the aid of funds subscribed by the British Admiralty and by settlers at Barriefield, many of who had been employees of the Royal Navy dockyard at Point Frederick - the present site of the Royal Military College. John Bennett Marks, a naval paymaster, donated the land for a site. Bishop John Strachan, July 10, 1843, laid the corner stone and the church, designed by Alfred Brunel, was opened by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart, July 7, 1844. The first rector was the Rev. John Pope who served from 1844-1846. On September 25, 1862, Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, first Bishop of Ontario, consecrated St Mark's, the first church consecrated in the newly established Diocese.

Previous month: William Duncan and Bishop Ridley Canadian Anglican WebRing Blog


Comment (0)


January 2008
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9270

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 2


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Jan 2012
    Aug 2011
    Apr 2011
    Oct 2010
    Apr 2010
    Mar 2010
    Feb 2010
    Jan 2010
    Dec 2009
    Nov 2009
    Oct 2009
    Sep 2009
    Aug 2009
    Jul 2009
    Jun 2009
    May 2009
    Apr 2009
    Mar 2009
    Feb 2009
    Jan 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007
    Oct 2007
    Sep 2007
    Aug 2007
    Jul 2007
    Jun 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy