Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Canadian Anglican - RSS feed - Add to Google

Thu, Aug 21st - 10:36AM

Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada

ELCIC logoThe Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC) has been in full communion with the Anglican Church of Canada under the Waterloo Declaration since 2001. ELCIC is Canada's largest Lutheran denomination, with approx. 182,077 baptized members in 620 congregations. It was organized in 1986 through merger of the former Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada (ELCC) and Lutheran Church in America-Canada Section (LCA-CS)
Fred Hiltz, Susan Johnson
The ELCIC is divided into 5 synods covering a geographical area, each has a bishop elected head. The synods are:

British Columbia;
Alberta and the Territories;
Saskatchewan;
Manitoba/Northwestern Ontario;
Eastern.

The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Its office is located in Kitchener, Ontario.

Shown are Fred Hiltz, Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, National Bishop, Susan Johnson at the Diocese of Huron's Sesquicentennial Celebration Service October 28, 2007 in London, Ontario.

Canadian Anglican WebRing BlogA recent example of cooperation between the churches is the appointment of Pastor Brad Mittleholtz, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Wiarton, Ontario as Interim for the Anglican Parish of the Bruce Peninsula.

Comment (0)


Thu, Aug 7th - 10:53AM

St. Peter's Anglican, Cobourg, Ontario

St. Peter's Anglican, Cobourg, OntarioThe parish of St. Peter's, Cobourg was formed in 1819 under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Quebec and a frame church constructed in 1820 on the present site.

Alexander Neil Bethune, later the second Bishop of Toronto, was appointed rector of Cobourg in 1827. In 1839, with the formation of the Diocese of Toronto the parish was transferred to its jurisdiction. The following year the church was enlarged. In 1842 the Cobourg Theological Institute was founded with Bethune the first principal. It formed the nucleus of the divinity school in Trinity University.

The present St Peter's building was opened in 1854. It was designed by Henry Bowyer Lane and Kivas Tully and built around the old one which was then dismantled. The extensive alterations have retained the early Gothic Revival architecture of the church.

Previous month: Bishop Bruce Howe Resigns Canadian Anglican WebRing Blog


Comment (0)


August 2008
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9271

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 3


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Jan 2012
    Aug 2011
    Apr 2011
    Oct 2010
    Apr 2010
    Mar 2010
    Feb 2010
    Jan 2010
    Dec 2009
    Nov 2009
    Oct 2009
    Sep 2009
    Aug 2009
    Jul 2009
    Jun 2009
    May 2009
    Apr 2009
    Mar 2009
    Feb 2009
    Jan 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Apr 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007
    Oct 2007
    Sep 2007
    Aug 2007
    Jul 2007
    Jun 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy