Creating Communities. Connecting People
Welcome, Guest      Bookmark and Share
 
 
Tell a friend about this site Invite    
 
Anglican Churches in Ontario - RSS feed - Add to Google

Tue, Apr 29th - 4:26PM





Diocese of Niagara

Christ Church Cathedral, Hamilton, Ontario

Diocese of Niagara Logo
The Diocese of Niagara was formed out of the Diocese of Toronto in 1875 with Thomas Brock Fuller elected its first bishop. It borders the Dioceses of Huron and Toronto. Major urban centres within its borders are St. Catharines, Hamilton, Guelph, Oakville, Burlington, and Orangeville. There are just over 100 congregations within the diocese served by approximately 125 licensed clergy.
Christ Church Cathedral, Hamilton, Ontario
Christ Church was erected in stages, its form altered as the size and prominence of the congregation increased. Begun in 1835 as a parish church, the frame building was expanded in 1852-54 with the addition of a stone chancel and nave extension designed by the renowned Toronto architect William Thomas. The present nave, fashioned by Henry Langley, a specialist in church architecture noted for his masterly High Victorian Gothic designs, was completed in 1876, a year after Christ's Church was designated the cathedral for the newly-formed Diocese of Niagara. Although the building has undergone various alterations and renovations since then, notably the extension of the chancel in 1924-25.

Comment (0)


Tue, Apr 22nd - 4:18PM

Holy Trinity Anglican, Welland, Ontario

Holy Trinity Anglican, Welland, OntarioThe first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was a frame structure opened in 1859. Before that Anglicans had worshipped in the Baptist church.

The current building opened in 1878. Its architecture is Gothic Revival with long narrow dimensions, solid buttresses, pointed arched doors and windows and red brickwork with buff brick hood mouldings.

It was the largest religious denomination in Welland and the church soon needed to be expanded. A new chancel was completed in 1884 and a Guild Hall constructed in 1909. A major expansion took place in August 1912. The chancel was extended 16 feet and the nave 36 feet, adding the large Tudor style castellated tower and tripartite memorial window. The Guild Hall was enlarged in 1930. The church was renovated yet again in 1939.

Comment (0)


Tue, Apr 15th - 4:17PM

St. Mark's Anglican, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

St. Mark's parish, was founded in 1792 when Rev. Robert Addison arrived from England to minister to the entire Niagara region. The congregation was made up of most of the important provincial figures of the time including Sir Isaac Brock and Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe. The church building was constructed between 1804 and 1810 and is the oldest Anglican Church in continuous use in Ontario. St. Mark's Anglican, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

During the War of 1812, the church was used as a hospital by the British and as a barracks by the Americans. Before retreating, the Americans burned most of the town and gutted St. Mark's. The walls of the church remained and the British army replaced the roof but it was not until 1828 that the church was fully refurbished. The transepts were added in 1841 and the tower in 1843.

In 1966, a Historic Building Foundation was established to separate the costs of maintaining the building from the regular finances of the Church. St Mark's is designated as an Ontario Heritage Property.

Comment (0)


Tue, Apr 8th - 4:13PM

St Andrew's Anglican, Grimsby, Ontario

St Andrew's Anglican, Grimsby, OntarioThe first Anglican church in Grimsby, then known as The Forty, was a log building constructed in 1794. The land was donated by Colonel Robert Nelles (1761-1842) who was a United Empire Loyalist from the Mohawk Valley, New York. Nelles came to Canada during the American Revolution and from 1780 to 1784 served in the Indian Department. Following hostilities he settled near the Grand River but by 1792 had moved to the area. Nelles built mills and a store on Forty-Mile Creek, soon becoming a prominent merchant. Nelles was also a justice of the peace, member of the legislative assembly, and commanding officer of the 4th Lincoln Militia.

The second church building a frame structure was completed by 1804. The present stone church was erected 1819-25 and consecrated by Bishop of Quebec, Charles Stewart in 1828. The incumbent from 1823 to 1827 was the Rev. Alexander Neil Bethune. It was the first parish for Rev Bethune who moved onto to become rector of Cobourg and later the first head of the Theological School at Cobourg. Dr. Bethune became Archdeacon of York in 1846 and the second Bishop of Toronto in 1867.

Previous posts: Deanery of Huron

Comment (0)


April 2008
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      
prev   next

  • All Blogs
  • Messenger
  • Member Search
  • Who's Online
    WebRing Bloggers: 9271

    ONLINE:
    Members: 0
    Guests: 0

    Today: 0


  • Archives
    Recent Posts
    Nov 2009
    Sep 2009
    Jul 2009
    May 2009
    Mar 2009
    Dec 2008
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2008
    Sep 2008
    Aug 2008
    Jul 2008
    Jun 2008
    May 2008
    Mar 2008
    Feb 2008
    Jan 2008
    Dec 2007
    Nov 2007

    What's New | Popular | Auctions | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss | ShopDragon | Newsletter | Powered by R360 | Contact Us
    Copyright © 2001-2012 WebRing®, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy